Thursday, July 20, 2006

Today I spent the day in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. I walked all over asking Hassid's what they thought about Moshiach. One guy, a Lubavitcher told me he was sure Menachem Schneerson was NOT the Messiah. On this we agree I told him. What about you he asked? I am a Jew who believes Y'shua ha Notzri is the Moshiach. Oooooooh. One of those, he said. Yep. Look, you have your opinion. I have mine. Lets leave it at that. Away he went. Most were afraid to speak openly to me about their thoughts and feelings. They were afraid to be seen talking to me. What is apparent to me is that most of these Hassidim are very isolated and afraid to do something or consider ideas that would get them in trouble with their community. They don't consider anything unless their rabbi is ok with it. These people have an image in the world of being very pious. At least that is what most Gentiles think and many Messianic Jews too. It isn't an accurate portrait. They are men and women wearing costumes but caught up in a cult of mind control and behavior control. Brethren, my hearts desire and prayer to God for them is that they might be saved.....

2 Comments:

Blogger geoffrobinson said...

Post-modern Orthodox.

10:29 AM  
Blogger DavidBrickner said...

Menachem,
I can only speak of my experience and you are speaking from your own. Perhaps you have only been exposed to a more modern Chabad community. My reference was more to the very dependent and closed off communities we are working around in Kiryas Joel, Williamsburg, Boro Park. They are completely dependent on the rebbe, live in a great deal of isolation and fear....that is what we see.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home